Pages

Illamasqua Skin Base

Tuesday 5 March 2013



I cannot believe I have just put a picture of my naked, pre-foundation skin on the internet for anyone to see. I've always been self-conscious of my skin, it's never been perfect and I doubt it ever will be. For that reason, I'm always searching for the perfect base which makes me feel more confident about my skin. I think I've found a winner with Illamasqua Skin Base...

I bought this in a blog sale in shade 2.0, which is one shade down from pure white. It's slightly paler than what I'd usually go for, but once dressed up with blusher it's far less ghostly. I'd describe this foundation as medium to full coverage but I do find it a little hard to work with. It's very thick in consistency and I find I have to work it in to my skin quickly, which does take a little getting used to. It also has a tendency to cling to any dry patches which I often get around my nose, so a good exfoliation session and lots of moisturizing is necessary! But the positives really do outweigh the negatives for me. It looks natural, stays on all day and doesn't turn my face into an oil slick by lunch time.

You can see in the before/after image that I suffer from red areas and have lots of scarring on my chin, but Skin Base does an amazing job of evening everything out and providing a fresh, blank canvas for the rest of my make-up. I threw in a picture of my full face of make-up at the end to show you how it looks with everything else. This definitely isn't my base of choice on an everyday basis because I do find it a little too heavy for daytime, but I often use it alongside my current daytime base of choice (Dr Jart Water Fuse BB Cream) to give a little extra coverage where I need it - chin and cheeks! I've worn this on nights out and it hasn't budged, or given me the dreaded ghost-face in photos.

For reference, I have sensitive, combination skin which is prone to redness. My skin is generally dry in the morning, but gets oily throughout the day. I wouldn't recommend Skin Base to anyone who suffers from dry skin, but if you're after a natural looking, medium to full coverage foundation then this one's worth a try! The great thing about Illamasqua foundation is that the shade range is phenomenal - you're almost guaranteed to find your perfect match.

PS: Did you know you can follow me on Bloglovin? I've also just joined Baobella so feel free to link your profiles below so I can follow you!

22 comments:

  1. This looks lovely, your skin looks amazing! xo

    chloesway.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!!! I really like your blog!!! :)

    http://loislennon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to try this as I'm a fellow pale girl and cannot find the perfect shade (at the moment i'm loving KAt Von D Lock-It in 42). This looks lovely on you and you shouldn't be nervous putting your bare face on your blog, your skin is lovely and the foundation looks perfect on you. I can't wait to purchase this after March pay day ;) xx

    January Girl ♥ Nails Inc + Eylure Giveaway ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really really want this now x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This foundation looks really nice on you! I'm always afraid of the dreaded 'dry patches' I just absolutely hate when foundation clings to them. Won't be picking this one up, but it does look very nice on your skin!

    - Jess
    The Mod Mermaid

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow the foundation has amazing coverage! Thanks for this awesome review. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted to try this. I don't have dry skin so I think it would work for me x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Skin Base but I wasn't sure of it at first, I find the best way to apply it is using a buffing brush Illamasqua's highlighter brush is good as is the real techniques buffing brush.
    You really only need a teeny amount. I was using far too much before, a pea size will do your entire face if you buff it in really well x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'll try it with a buffing brush! x

      Delete
  9. Its a shame it isnt easy to manage because the coverage looks amazing. Which blusher did you use on your final photography, looks like a really nice natural shade. xx

    p.s your newest follower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following, Melanie! I'll be reviewing the blusher very soon, keep an eye out... x

      Delete
  10. Wow the coverage of this looks great. I was going to buy it when I was on holiday but decided against it, my mum got it and it broke her out but hopefully that's just her. Sounds like a lovely foundation x

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks very similar to double wear and I have the same problem with that. The end result is really good though x
    lifeandlipsticks.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  12. The coverage is really impressive! And really it makes your skin look absolutely flawless and glowing! I've read that this is really amazing a few times and actually have a friend who swears by it too!
    Thanks for sending your link via twitter, your blog is great!<33

    xoxo Bree
    The Urban Umbrella
    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! It doesn't look super heavy, your skin just looks gorgeous :) I'm on the look out for a new foundation and I'd definitely give this a go if it wasn't £27! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, the before/after is impressive! It doesn't look heavy att all but it's full-coverage! I really want to try this foundation but I'm afraid of buying it online and the wrong shade...
    Anyway, it looks lovely on your skin! So beautiful and glowey :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh it looks like we are alike so I'm definitely gonna try it out

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks amazing :), I need a full coverage foundation! Shame its so expensive though :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never tried Illamasqua before, but my goodness, I'm impressed with how this looks in the pictures! Get me to Selfridges immediately :)

    I'm having a Benefit cosmetics giveaway on my blog at the moment, would love for you to take a look.

    Jo x
    www.woobered.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ummmm...so basically this foundation looks amazing? I literally cannot wait to go test it out, I looooove full coverage foundations, and am honestly surprised that I haven't heard much about this one yet. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can I firstly just say, you're beautiful! Thank you for having the confidence to share those photos with us. Secondly, that product looks amazing - we virtually have the exact same skin type. It's so hard to work with, especially with foundations so I'm excited to give this a go!

    Thank you so much for sharing dolly.
    Lots of love ❤
    xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah this sounds lovely. I can't wait to try it tomorrow now! I am such a darker shade than you, 7.5! xo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...