Pages

Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation

Sunday 2 March 2014


Ah, full coverage foundations... I've never really been a huge fan of them, especially for everyday wear, as I find them too heavy and feel like I'm wearing a mask. But for special occasions or nights out, I do tend to favour a full coverage foundation with impressive longevity and coverage. Enter, Laura Mercier Silk Creme foundation.

I managed to grab this at a bargain price in a blog sale, but typically it's not quite the right shade for me. I have the shade Soft Ivory, which is the palest going in this range. Since travelling America last summer, my tan is still lingering around ever so slightly, and I'm not pale as a ghost like I used to be. I could really do with the shade one step down from this one, but topped up with some bronzer, this does the job for now. When I first tried this foundation, I was far from impressed. It was thick and heavy and seemed to accentuate any blemishes and flaws in my skin - pretty much the opposite from what I wanted to achieve, really. I tried blending it with my fingers, a buffing brush, a damp sponge... and I still hated the results.

However, I persevered. I knew that this foundation was hyped by so many people for some reason, and I was determined to find out why. And now I do. Priming my skin with Becca Rejuvenating Primer, and then Clarins Instant Smooth primer provides a lovely smooth base to work with, and really helps this foundation to sit nicely. This time, I took a tiny amount of product - literally the size of a very small pea - and used my fingers to apply. The results were much more satisfactory. No cakey-ness or flakiness in sight, just a smooth and flawless base. The coverage you get from this really is great, I barely need to use any concealer and it lasts an impressive amount of time. The only thing I don't like is how this wears throughout the day. It seems to separate on my skin and it wears really patchily on me. But, for a night out or a special occasion, this is my go-to purely for the high coverage it offers. It's definitely not one for everyday, casual daytime wear for me, anyway.


3 comments:

  1. Fab review hun! I have those foundations too, the sort that are for nights out only! I hate the cakey feeling during the day. I have an Illamasqua full coverage foundation that I've hardly worn because it is so thick. I keep trying different primers / application methods because I am determined to get use of it! Xox

    www.tartanbones.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I want to try this but it's so expensive that I've been holding off. Going to try and get hold of a sample xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely one of those foundations you need to persevere with! I felt the same when I first tried it. But you're right once you've primed and moisturised really well it can look so flawless. For me I find it works best with a small stippling brush! xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...